Tel. +44(0)20 8389 1429

Email. info@yourtax.org.uk


I haven't let HMRC know I have left the UK - do I need to?

Letting HMRC know that you have left the UK is voluntary. However, if you wish to claim a tax refund or will be renting out your property when you are abroad, you will have to let HMRC know.

We always advise our users to let HMRC know just in case they need to urgently contact them.

Also, if you are in for a surprise refund, you will actually receive it!

What tax forms do I need I fill out when I leave the UK?

This is the complex part that normally confuses most people.

We have put together a step by step guide to help you figure this out as not everyone needs to fill in the same forms.

Our simple process asks you a few basic questions and will then produce the forms that you need.

We also have guides on what each of the forms are. The guides are designed to tell you a bit more about each form and why it is useful to fill in.

Click here to find out what tax forms you need to fill in.

Do the forms take long to fill out?

Yes they do is the simple answer.

Some of the questions can be confusing and in a lot of the forms, the questions asked are repeated.

We have designed an easy to understand process, that asks you all of the relevant questions, gets rid of the duplication problems that arise and simplifies a lot of the questions by providing examples and putting the questions in an easy to understand format.

Am I due a tax refund?

You may well be if you have been employed and worked under the PAYE regime.

If you have a copy of your P45 or last pay slip - click here to use our tax refund calculator to see if you are due one!

My property doesn't make any profit, do I have to file a tax return?

Yes you do still have to file a tax return. You have to let HMRC know that you are a non-resident landlord by filing out the NRL1i form.

Click here to read more about renting out your property when you are abroad.

Can I still file my tax return online?

If you are using the HMRC website normally, then the answer is no. Once you become an expatriate you have to fill in the non-resident section of the tax return. This is currently not available using the HMRC online self assessment software.

You can file this using commercial software yourself. However, non-resident tax returns are normally complicated.

We always advise individuals to use a qualified tax adviser.

Click here to get put in touch with one.

Do I have to still pay tax?

If you are non-resident then the default answer is normally no. However, if you are unsure you should speak with a qualified adviser.

Click here to get put in touch with one.

Am I non-resident?

HMRC changed the non-resident rules last year

We have compiled a simple flow chart for you to use to see if you are non-resident. Click here to follow it through.

Alternatively, you can use the HMRC residency calculator to see if you are resident. Click here to go through to the HMRC residency calculator.

Can I still pay my national insurance contributions?

When you become an expatriate you can pay voluntary national insurance contributions.

To understand more about these click here for our guide on national insurance contributions for expats.

Do my NI contributions mean I am still entitled to the NHS?

The NHS is only for people who are resident in the United Kingdom. Keeping up voluntary national insurance contributions will not mean that you qualify to use the NHS free of charge when you become an expatriate.

What happens to my pensions when I leave the UK?

When you leave the UK your pensions become frozen. Most individuals choose to have these looked at by a financial adviser to see what their best options are when they become an expatriate.

We would always recommend that you use a qualified adviser. Click here to get put in touch with a qualified financial adviser.